Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF)
- Replaces the current state model of funding with a more streamlined formula and removes most existing spending restrictions.
- Collapses over 20 categorical programs (funds earmarked by the state for different types of uses with spending restrictions). However, some categorical programs remain, including special education, after school programs, school lunches, transportation and TIIG (Targeted Instructional Improvement Grant).
- Shifts decision-making to the school district level with flexibility for local communities to decide how to best spend resources.
- Requires that districts must use supplemental and concentration funds to "increase or improve services for EL/LI pupils."
- Requires districts to adopt Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAPs) that show how funds will be spent to provide high-quality educational programs and improve student outcomes.
- Implementation begins in 2013-14 and will be phased in over an eight-year period