I want my students to watch a video on Youtube.com but it's blocked. Can I unblock it?
Yes! (Well, almost yes.)
***If, as a teacher, you are not able to watch a video, scroll all the way to the bottom and turn off Restricted Mode.
How do we sign in to our Google Chromebooks?
A few changes have been made to the various ways to sign in to your Chromebook. Follow these tutorials for Illuminate, MAP testing, SBAC testing and signing in with your Google Account.
The Printable PDF also has many pointers to help you with your new device.
(PDF Updated 12/9/2015)
How can I get started using my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or 4?
Technology has created this helpful guide to assist you in using your Surface Pro.
How do I contact the Help Desk?
All requests for Information Technology (IT) department assistance should be submitted to the Help Desk via phone or e-mail. You may reach the Help Desk at 765-5100, extension 5580 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
When calling or e-mailing into the Help Desk, please provide the following information:
- Work Location (including room/department)
- Number where you can be reached
- Type of equipment (computer, printer, scanner, etc.)
- Name of software application, if applicable (Gmail, Renaissance Place, Destiny, Word, etc.)
- Detailed description of issue, including on screen error messages
Your request will be entered into the Technology work order system, prioritized and addressed by IT staff. You should receive a response to your request within 24 hours.
How can I get access to the network & email?
You must be a full or part time employee of the Hemet Unified School District. Speak to your school site office manager or department secretary to request an account for you. Once you have an account, you may sign into the appropriate computer at your school site with a network connection to gain access to HUSD's network, your e-mail account and the internet.
How do I add the last updated date to the footer in Excel
Ever need to add the current date to the footer of an Excel spreadsheet? Follow the simple instructions in the file linked below to have it auto update for you each time you open and save the file.
What is my network user name?
Typically, your user name will be the first letter of your first name and your full last name (William Applesmith = wapplesmith).
It is possible someone else may have your name. For example, several users might guess their user name is Jdoe but since there are several, after the first a number is added, i.e. Jdoe, Jdoe1, Jdoe2.
Please contact the Help Desk if you are not certain.
What are the password requirements/recommendations?
Passwords should follow the following rules:
- Must be a minimum of 8 characters
- The safest password contains a combination of letters and numbers.
- Do not use commonly known names for passwords, i.e., your spouse, child(ren) or pet(s), etc.
- DO NOT share your password with anyone.
- Change your password frequently.
- Novell passwords expire approximately every 180 days (not the Gmail password). When you receive the message your password has expired, you must change it. You have 5 attempts to change your passwords. If you do not change it, your account will be locked. To have your account unlocked, you must contact the Help Desk at 765-5100, ext. 5580.
What is F:\ drive?
The F:\ drive is a network drive assigned to each network user. This is dedicated space on the server at your work site location. When you log onto the network you will have access to the F:\ drive. Only you have access to your F:\ drive.
For example, when John Doe logs in he will have access to his F:\drive, jdoe on school server. When Jane Smith logs in, she will have access to her F:\ drive, jsmith on school server.
Servers are backed-up so files are protected. If anything happens to your desktop or laptop computers, as long as your files are saved on the F:\ drive, IT can restore your files.
What does default printer mean and how do I change my default printer?
Default Printer – The printer all programs will send print jobs to by default when you click on the Print button or choose File, Print from the menu. The printer selected as your default printer will have a printer icon with a checkmark on it.
Follow the steps below to change your default printer:
- Go to the Start Menu, then Devices and Printers.
- Find the printer you would like to be your Default Printer. Right Click on the icon and select "Set as Default Printer."
- All Done! Next time you print a document, it will go to that printer.
What is the shutdown service?
In an effort to control spiraling electrical costs, the Technology Dept. has configured most district computers to shut down & power off after 4:00 PM, or later depending on site hours of operation. Idle computers powered on after that time you will display a 15 minute count down timer prompt, which will allow you postpone shut down for one hour If you elect to postpone shut down, the prompt will appear again each hour until the computer is shut down. If there is no response, the computer will automatically shut down and power off. If you are actively using your computer, shutdown may be postponed automatically. Please be aware, if this service shuts down your computer, it will not save any documents you have open. To prevent loss of unsaved work, please save your work before you leave your computer for the night.
- The shut down service begins at 4:00pm for most sites, or later in depending on hours of operation;
- If your computer is idle, you have 15 minutes to respond and postpone shutdown;
- If you postpone the shut down, a prompt will reappear each hour until the computer is shut down;
- To reduce interruptions, if you are actively using the computer, the prompt may not appear and shutdown will be postponed automatically;
- This is not a substitute for responsible power management. Please turn off all electronic equipment when you leave including all TVs, computers, air conditioners, and other electronic devices.
How do I donate computers or other equipment to the school district?
The district is happy to accept donations. Please review the minimum acceptable requirements for computer donations.
All donations must be approved by the Governing Board. Please contact Connie Listoe in the Business Services
Office. The donation form is available on the Business Services forms page
. Letters of appreciation will be sent to the donors by the Superintendent's Office after Board approval.
What are the minimum specs for district computers?
The district purchases all computers from Dell Computer Corporation. The Technology department has determined the current minimum set-up according to system requirements. Please review Hardware Standards document.
What software is district approved?
Approved district educational software is determined by the Area Administrators and Information Technology. First the Area Administrators evaluate the educational value of the software, then IT will determine if the software is properly suited for use on the district network. Approved software includes, but is not limited to the software on the Approved Software List.
How can I get software reviewed for possible addition to the district approved software list?
If the software you want to use is not on the District Approved Software List, it must go through a review by Education Services and Information Technology before it may be purchased for use on district computers and/or network. Also, any and all required hardware for the software must be pre-approved prior to purchase and district use. To request software review, complete the Education Software Review Request and submit to your school principal.