Payroll FAQ's



Q: When is payday?
A: Please reference the Payroll Schedule for pay dates.
Q: Where do I pick up my paycheck?
A: All paychecks are mailed to the employee's address on file with the District.
Q: How many paychecks do Classified employees receive?
A: Classified Management, Confidential, 12 month, 11 month and 10.75 month employees receive 12 paychecks (July - June) per year. 10.50 month and School Bus Driver employees receive 11 paychecks (August - June) per year. 10 month and School Session employees receive 10 paychecks (August - May) per year.
Q: How many paychecks do Certificated employees receive?
A: Certificated Management employees receive 12 paychecks (July - June). Teachers, Counselors, and Psychologists receive 10 paychecks (August - May) per year.
Q: What is "level" pay?
A: Level pay is how the district compensates regular district employees. Level pay is the process of taking your regular annual base salary and dividing it by the number of paychecks you receive per year. This effectively makes each paycheck you receive the same monthly salary amount, regardless of the number of days worked in a given month. We have developed an informative flyer for classified employees.
Q: I am a classified employee.  How do I calculate my level pay amount per month?
A: The classified twelve month (monthly) salary listed on the classified salary schedules is built off of the hourly rate listed. Depending on your work calendar, you are compensated for a certain number of days and you are paid a certain number of paychecks. The monthly rate of pay on the classified salary schedules is based on an employee working eight (8) hours per day all year long.  Employees working less than eight (8) hours have to multiply the monthly salary schedule pay amount by the full-time equivalent (FTE) to come up with their regular monthly level pay. To determine your FTE you can either divide your number of authorized hours per day by eight or divide the total number of hours authorized per week by 40. For example, a twelve month, five (5) hour employee would take the classified monthly salary rate and multiply by 0.625 (5/8) to come up with the level pay amount. 
Less than 12 month classified employees take their work calendar days times the average hours worked per day times the hourly rate and divide by the number of paychecks they receive to come up with their level pay amount. We have developed an informative flyer for less than 12 month classified employees.
Q: What is Certificated Deferred Net Pay (DNP)?  Why can I no longer sign up?
A:  Effective January 1, 2016, enrollment into DNP will no longer be available. This is part of the shut down process due to the elimination of the program by the Riverside County Office of Education effective July 1, 2019. If you require greater flexibility with your finances, you may consider opting for participation in a Summer Saver account with a local credit union or opening another bank account to direct deposit earnings for the summer. If you were enrolled in DNP prior to January 1, 2016, then the amount deducted each month to cover unpaid months is determined by your take-home pay amount and the number of DNP checks needed to enable you to be paid over twelve (12) months. This amount is generally 16.67% from a Certificated employee needing DNP checks. Please read the terms and conditions regarding participation carefully
Q: I am enrolled in Deferred Net Pay (DNP). How do I cancel my participation in DNP?
A: The Deferred Net Pay Cancellation form is available through School Stream and must be completed in order to cancel. Please read the terms and conditions regarding cancellation on the form carefully. Employees who wish to remain in the program through it's end date on June 30, 2019 do not need to complete the form because all employees will automatically be removed from DNP on July 1, 2019. 
Q: Why is Deferred Net Pay (DNP) not available to classified employees? 
A:  In order to accurately report earnings and service to CalPERS for our less than 12 month employees, we are required to report earnings on an hourly basis.  The financial software we use for Payroll from RCOE does not currently allow Deferred Net Pay (DNP) to be taken on earnings when they are paid in this manner.  There are many other options for saving for unpaid summer months - including participating in a Summer Saver account with a local credit union or opening another bank account to direct deposit earnings for the summer. Here is an in-depth explanation regarding this change. 
Q: I am a Substitute Employee who subs in Classified positions, how is overtime determined?
A: Classified Substitute Employees are covered under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA). The FLSA states, "employees must be paid at least one and one-half (1.5) times their regular rate of pay for all hours physically worked over forty (40) in a workweek." The Memorandum went into effect on January 9, 2014.
Q: How many accounts am I eligible to make a direct deposit?
A: District employees are eligible to direct deposit into five (5) different bank accounts.  Four of the accounts must have a designated dollar amount, and the remaining net (take-home) pay is deposited into the fifth account.  
Q: How do I make Direct Deposit changes?
A: Please complete the Direct Deposit form. This form must be submitted in person at the District Office. ID will also be required upon submission. Employees who work at Cottonwood, Hamilton, Idyllwild, and Transportation-LA area, will have a designee at their site whom to submit forms to. All other employees must come to the District Office at 1791 W. Acacia Ave., Hemet, CA 92545.
Q: What is Extra Duty?
A: Extra duty hours are hours worked in excess of your base.  These hours are commonly referred to as over base or overtime hours.  Your base hours are paid for as part of your regular work assignment each month.  If you work hours beyond your regular work schedule, you will want to submit those hours on an Extra Duty Timecard to be paid. 
Q: When are Extra Duty Timecards due?  What is the reporting period?
A: Please refer to the Payroll Schedule for Extra Duty Timecard due dates.  Please make sure your timecard is submitted according to the deadlines on the Payroll Schedule.  Late timecards will be held until the following month for payment.  The reporting period for Extra Duty Timecards runs from the 10th to the 9th.  (ex:  July 10th - August 9th).
Q: I worked extra hours and/or overtime last month.  When am I paid for this extra work?
A: The paycheck you earn at the end of each month includes the extra duty and/or overtime worked through the 9th of that month.  Extra Duty Timecards run from the 10th - 9th.  (Example: You work extra hours during the week of July 7th -11th).  The Extra Duty Timecard reporting period ends on the July 9th.  You would be paid for July 7th - 9th on your July 31st paycheck, and July 10th - 11th on your August 29th paycheck).
Q: How often may I change my Federal/State withholding?
A: Employees are allowed to change their tax withholding exemptions as often as they like.  Employees can change their Federal and State withholding by completing a new W-4 Form and submitting it to Payroll.   If you need to claim a different withholding allowance for the State, you will also need to complete a new DE-4 Form.   Calculators exist to help you determine your Federal and State tax liability.  Payroll also recommends consulting your tax advisor for guidance. Employees claiming more than ten (10) exemptions and employees making more than $200 per week who claim exempt status are required to have their W-4/DE-4 reported to the StateThe original W-4 and/or DE-4 Form  must be submitted to Payroll no later than the 15th of the month for processing.
Q: What is a POD Check?
A: A POD (Payroll on Demand) check is an off-cycle paycheck.
Q: When is the use of a POD check appropriate?
A: POD's are used when there is a need to compensate an employee for work performed (usually due to error) when the employee cannot wait until the next regular pay cycle.  The use of POD is usually approved when a site or payroll error is reported.  Late timecards (due to employee error) will be processed on the next regular payroll cycle.
Q: Who approves requests for a POD check?
A: The Payroll Manager reviews requests for POD checks to determine whether the use of a POD is appropriate.
Q: What should I know about a POD check?
A: POD checks are only permitted when a need to run an off-cycle check can be substantiated.  Please note:  POD's cannot be direct deposited.  Additionally, if what is being paid on a POD can be determined to be Supplemental Wages, the employee will be Flat Taxed on the wages.  Flat Tax rates are currently 22% for Federal Income Tax withholding and 6.6% for State Income Tax Withholding.
Q: What are Supplemental Wages?
A: In IRS Publication 15, the IRS states Supplemental Wages include (but are not limited to) "bonuses, overtime pay, severance pay, back pay, and retroactive pay increases."
Q: Why were my wages on the POD Flat Taxed?
A: As Supplemental Wages paid on a POD are not aggregated (or combined) with earnings paid on a regular payroll cycle, payroll is required to Flat Tax the off-cycle wages.  In IRS Publication 15, the IRS describes two methods employers can use to tax Supplemental Wages.  Our financial system (Galaxy) does not allow us to aggregate (combine) the wages on a POD with earnings previously paid on the regular payroll cycle - nor can we adjust the payroll tax withholding in Galaxy to reflect the correct withholding.  This leaves the optional Flat Tax method of withholding as the only viable option available to our district. 
Q: How may I obtain a copy of a prior year W-2 Form(s)?
A: Please contact your Payroll Specialist for assistance.  Please allow sufficient time to process your request.  Once we have completed your request, you will be given the option to pick up the W-2(s) at the district office or have it mailed to your mailing address on file with the district.
Q: How may I obtain a copy of my previously issued paystub(s)?
A: Please contact your Payroll Specialist for assistance.  Please allow sufficient time to process your request. Once we have processed your request, you will be given the option to pick up the paystub(s) at the district office or have it mailed to your mailing address on file with the district.
Q: I recently got married/divorced.  How do I change my name with the district?
A: Employers are required to use the employee's legal name (as it appears on their Social Security Card) for reporting purposes.  To legally change your name with the district, you will need to complete Form SS-5 to apply for a new Social Security Card. Social Security has provided some guidance on changing your name.  The IRS has also offered some tips for changing your name with Social Security.  When you receive your new Social Security Card, bring it to Human Resources (at the district office) to process your name change. You will also need to complete a new W-4 as well and submit to Human Resources along with your new Social Security card.
Q: I recently moved.  How do I change my address and/or telephone number?
A: All employees should complete the Change of Address and/or Telephone Number Form. This form must be submitted in person at the District Office. ID will be required upon submission. Employees who work at Cottonwood, Hamilton, Idyllwild, and Transportation in the LA area, will have a designee at their site whom to submit forms to. All other employees must come to the District Office at 1791 W. Acacia Ave., Hemet, CA 92545.
Q: What is Pension Reform? What is PEPRA?
A: PEPRA is an acronym for Assembly Bill 340 - the Public Employees' Pension Reform Act.  Effective January 1, 2013, employees joining CalPERS or CalSTRS retirement systems are subject to a different retirement benefit (and in some instances different creditable compensation rules) than those with prior membership.  The law is quite complex.  For information please visit the CalPERS' website or CalSTRS' website for more information. 
Q: How do I make changes to my TSA - 403(b), 457(b)?
A: These types of deductions are handled by the Benefits Department. You can access the forms needed to make changes on HUSD's 403b/457b webpage. Please submit the completed forms to the Benefits Department
Q: Who do I contact for assistance?
A: It is a pleasure to serve our employees.  Please reference our Payroll Contacts page to get in contact with your Payroll Specialist and/or Leave & Attendance Technician.
Q: What are your normal office hours?
A: Payroll staff are normally available 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.