College and Career Assistance

Transition and Educational Services

There are several options for foster youth or youth experiencing homelessness to complete their high school education as well as, go on to college. Below are resources and links with information on local community colleges as well as financial aid to help students pay for college.

Community College Resources for Homeless and Foster Youth
Financial Aid
Need help paying for college? Start here
Independent Students
Don't have parents or guardians to assist in completing forms? No problem. Foster youth and those experiencing homelessness, are considered independent students and do not need to provide parent/guardian information. See your school's financial aid counselor for details. 

Chafee Grant

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states

To be considered for a California Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:

  • Submit the California Chafee Grant Application online; and
  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online; or
  • If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), submit the California Dream Act Application (CADA) online. (Dream Act Id required to submit a Chafee Grant Application)
  • Have your school complete and submit the Chafee Need Analysis Report (NAR) (only for 2015-16 Chafee applicants)